Owner occupied rentals, also known as ‘digs’, can be found throughout the year. If you’re looking for this type of accommodation it is best to search during the summer months. Digs can be found on websites like UCC StudentPad and Daft.ie.
Note – renting in owner occupied accommodation is a licensee arrangement and the normal tenancy rights do not apply. It is important that you set clearly defined terms in writing before entering into this kind of agreement.
There are some important points to note before entering into this type of arrangement.
- Is it a 5 day rental or full week?
- Are utilities and food included in the rent?
- What access do you have to shared spaces and facilities such as laundry and cooking?
- Is there a curfew? Can you have guests over?
- Make sure that the agreement between you and the landlord is backed up by a contract, signed by both parties.
- Only sign the contract if you are happy with all the details.The contract should:
- Layout notice periods.
- Stipulate the terms for ending the agreement.
- Protect against any rent increases within a reasonable period, ideally a full year.