Education For All
UCCSU is working with USI to promote the Education For All campaign. This campaign seeks to establish a publicly funded third level education system in Ireland.
The campaign pushes for:
- An end to the student contribution charge of €3,000, the highest in the EU.
- An end to the study now pay later and earn and learn policies and a move toward publicly funded education at the heart of government policy.
- A publicly financed student accommodation building strategy and charter for student tenant rights.
- A reform of student supports across the island that match the cost of being a student in the new decade.
- A plan to address the crisis in Irish creative institutions.
- An end to precarious working conditions for academic staff
TDs can take the pledge to support the Education for All campaign here.
Students looking to get involved can email their local TDs asking them to support the pledge, tweet or post on Instagram using the hashtag #EducationForAll or sign the Uplift petition here.
UCCSU’s video calling for local TDs to support the #EducationForAll Pledge:
UCCSU’s Campaign Launch for Education for All:
USI’s list of demands for the Oireachtas:
RedFM Coverage of the Education For All Campaign launch:
UCC Student’s Union call for reduction in college fees as students face year of financial hardship https://t.co/sMt2QJxNVD
— RedFM News (@RedFMNews) September 21, 2020
Evening Echo article on UCCSU’s Education For All Launch:
Cork students call for more public funding for higher education https://t.co/1pV0aBjDrd
— EchoLive.ie (@echolivecork) September 21, 2020
UCCSU Meeting with Fine Gael TD Colm Burke to discuss the Education For All Campaign:
A pleasure engaging with @ColmBurkeTD today to discuss how to ensure greater access to education and the issues affecting students in Cork and UCC. #EducationForAll pic.twitter.com/7H52WkE3tn
— UCC Students’ Union (@UCCSU) September 24, 2020
UCCSU Welfare Officer, Jamie Fraser meeting with Sinn Féin TD Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire to discuss the Education For All Campaign:
A pleasure to meet with @Donnchadhol today to discuss eradicating the barriers to further education by focusing on.
✅ Reforming the student housing strategy.
✅ Further investment in mental health services for students.
✅ Revamping the SUSI grant system. pic.twitter.com/s3CfIuIzYo
— Jamie Fraser (@UCCSUWelfare) October 2, 2020